We normally get our kale on in the form of a smoothie or juice in the Y3 test kitchen, but we were searching for a salad that is cleansing, hearty, and healthy as we transition through the cold and wet spring season. Because kale is one of our favorite nutrient dense foods of all time, we chose this leafy green as the primary ingredient to work with. Raw kale leaves are difficult to digest for some people, so make sure to massage each one thoroughly with salt and lemon juice so they would be more easily digestible. Also, remove the stems and cut the remaining pieces into tiny strips.
For this salad, we used lacinato kale (also known as dinosaur kale), which is dark green in color and loaded with vitamins and minerals. There are many varieties of kale & you may choose which ever you prefer, or even swap out kale for spinach or your favorite dark leafy green. Kale carries a wide range of antioxidants and acts as an anti-inflammatory in the body. With the addition of hemp seeds this is a powerhouse of a salad. These tiny seeds include GLA (gamma linolenic acid), which decreases inflammation and lowers LDL cholesterol. Hemp seed contains easily digestible proteins, essential fats, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that promote a healthy metabolism, boost the immune system, and improve organ function. We LOVE kale and hemp seed, Enjoy!
Kale and Fig Salad
1 head of kale
juice of 1/2 lemon
pinch of salt
1 tbs. raw olive oil
1. Rinse kale leaves and pat off water with dish towel or paper towel.
2. Remove stem from each leaf.
3. Cut leaves into small strips and place in a bowl.
4. Add lemon juice, salt, and olive oil to leaves and massage thoroughly with hands. (This will soften kale and reduce leaves in size.) Set aside.
3 tbs. raw olive oil
2 tbs. raw apple cider vinegar
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tbs. raw honey (or raw coconut sugar for vegans)
1. Place all ingredients in blender and mix until well combined.
2. Toss dressing with kale leaves until mix well.
6-8 dried turkish figs, stems removed
2 tbs. hemp seeds
1/2 cup raw nuts or seeds of choice (optional)
pinch of black pepper
1. Chop figs into small pieces.
2. Add all ingredients to kale salad. Enjoy!
Photos & Recipe from http://www.pureandsimple.typepad.com Courtesy of Amy Jo Hearron