This creamy and elegant soup is Y3 Detox approved for our Spring into a New You program or anytime. Asparagus is abundant in the springtime and don’t be afraid to add salt, it will take the gorgeous green color up a notch and bring out its’ beautiful bold flavor. Asparagus packs a nutritional punch at only 22 calories a serving (on its own), it is loaded with vitamins, minerals, proteins, amino acids, and is a known aphrodisiac. How can you not love the sexy little asparagus spear? The ingredient list may seem long, but it comes together very easily and it is so yummy and worth the extra effort on so many levels 🙂 Enjoy & happy spring cleaning.
- 4 pounds of Asparagus, washed & woody ends trimmed
- 2 Tablespoons divided, olive oil, for roasting & sautéing
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided, plus more for sprinkling
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 small to medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 leeks, white & some of the green parts, thoroughly washed and chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 8 cups vegetable stock or Chaga, we used Chaga because we love it and can’t get enough of it
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 carrot grated for garnish (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley or herb of choice for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees fahrenheit. Cut of the tips of the asparagus from the stalks, and coat the tips in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes or until soft but still crunchy to bite. Reserve for garnish
Cut remaining asparagus stalks into 1 inch pieces. In a saucepan heat remaining olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add garlic and cook for a minute before adding the onions, leeks, carrots and celery. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the asparagus stalks, stock, thyme, salt & pepper, raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover & simmer gently until tender, approximately 25-30 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Very carefully transfer soup to a food processor or high speed blender in small batches and puree. Return to stovetop, add roasted asparagus tips. Cover and heat over low heat, stirring occasionally until well heated. Add salt & pepper to taste and garnish as desired. Yields 4 to 6 servings.
Recipe: The Vegan Table by Colleen Goudreau
Photo courtesy of http://vegan-magazine.com